Matheson Lake Regional Park (Vancouver Island, BC)
Just outside of Victoria, BC is Matheson Lake Park, a quiet, fresh-water reserve located at the base of Mount Matheson and surrounded by a thick coastal rainforest.
Adjoining Roche Cove Regional Park, Matheson Lake Regional Park is an official park on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. The Galloping Goose Trail connects the two parks making for a relaxing afternoon hike in the thick forests surrounding Victoria, BC.
Things to do at Matheson Lake Park
- Swim in the warm fresh water. This is a popular swimming hole on hot summer days. People enjoy sunning on small beach and swimming out to the Gillespie Island, the rocky island in the photo.
- Anglers are welcome to fish in these calm waters. The only boats allowed are those with electric motors.
- Kayakers are welcome, but the lake is rather small for this water sport. Consider kayaking the Sooke Basin instead.
- Hike around the lake. The southern shore is rocky and undulating and slippery when wet. This portion of the trail is considered moderate hiking.
- Walk around the northern side of the trail where spectacular cliff views of the entire lake await. Only running shoes are required. Follow the Galloping Goose Trail towards the lake.
- Walk, jog or ride the Galloping Goose Trail. The trail skirts through the park and is a good starting point for an afternoon walk. This is a popular dog-walking trail.
- View some largest maple and Douglas Fir trees in the East Sooke region. Most of the thick forest is second growth. The old growth forest on Vancouver Island was cut down in the 1800's to build Victoria but a few trees around Matheson Lake are over 200 years old.
Follow the Google driving directions to the regional park.
View in a larger map
If you're visiting Victoria, BC make sure to get outside the city to witness some of the most spectacular nature the region has to offer. If you enjoy this hike, check out the Upper Thetis Lake loop hike.
Matheson Lake is a great place to walk amongst tall trees and swim in the warm, fresh water of Vancouver Island, BC. The park is located on the kilometer 32 of the Galloping Goose Trail (from Victoria).
Matheson Lake park is located in Metchosin, BC on Vancouver Island and is 33 kilometers (35 minutes) from downtown Victoria and 25 minutes from Sooke, BC.
Check out other things to do on your great Canadian holiday to Sooke, British Columbia.
© Copyright 2009
Get more insider tips on Canadian Adventures at Scenic Travel Canada.