Skiing Banff, Alberta - Sunshine Village
Skiing in Banff, Alberta doesn't get any better than Sunshine Village. This mountain jewel offers excellent scenery, snow & skiing and has three mountain faces to ski. It takes more than one ski-trip to fully explore this ski resort!
Sunshine Village is in a secluded powder bowl that can only be accessed via a 20 minute gondola. It stops to change directions as it rounds the mountain and offers skiers a chance to disembark at different ski areas along the way.
With over 9 meters (30 feet) of snow, ski season arrives early in this part of Canada. Ski season is from from mid-November to early June.
View Sunshine Village, Banff, Alberta in a larger map
General Information about Sunshine Village
- Sunshine Village is one of the largest ski resort in Canada with over 3358 acres (1358 hectares) of terrain. Contact the ski resort directly at 1-87-SKI-BANFF (1-877-542-2633) or 1-403-705-4000 from outside of North America.
- It's located in Banff National Park so a park permit is required.
- During Christmas & spring break, parking is tight. Free shuttle buses are used to bring skiers from the parking areas along the access road to the gondola base.
- The ski terrain is HUGE and so snow-making coverage is limited. The snow base is thin in November but by December, most rocks are covered and all runs usually open.
- Skiing in Canada can be expensive. especially the hot food and alcoholic drinks.
- The photo above was taken under the Continental Divide chair which actually takes skiers into British Columbia. Some of the best Rocky Mountain views can be seen at the top!
Sunshine Village Statistics
- Vertical Rise - 3514 feet (1070 meters)
- Number of Lifts - 12
- Longest Run - 8 kilometers (5 miles) with one large flat area (boarders beware).
- Number of mountain faces - 3
- Number of chalets - 3. The lower one at the gondola base is the least crowded but just as expensive.
- Terrain Breakdown - 20% Beginner, 55% Intermediate, 25% Advanced
- Current Conditions & Mountain Webcam
There are plenty of things to do in Banff & Kananaskis in every season!
Get more insider tips on Canadian Adventures at Scenic Travel Canada.